Debit Card Security
All Bank Independent Debit Cards include secure EMV or "chip" technology. These cards feature an embedded microprocessor chip for storing and transmitting data, so your personal financial information is more secure than ever.
Because chip cards are extremely difficult to counterfeit and require special equipment to read, they greatly decrease the probability of fraud through counterfeit cards or skimming (attaching devices to card readers to capture card information).
MasterCard SecureCode is a private code for your BI Debit Card that adds a complimentary layer of security to online shopping, carefully evaluating a variety of data behind the scenes with each online transaction.
No pre-enrollment is required; in fact, certain transactions and online merchants automatically extend SecureCode services to you. SecureCode may prompt you to provide additional secure information to confirm that it's really you. The information you enter will only be used to verify that particular purchase.
Our partnership with MasterCard means more complimentary protections for your purchases:
- Extended Warranty Coverage: MasterCard doubles the original manufacturer's or store brand warranty for up to one year on items you purchase with your BI Debit Card.
- Price Protection: Found a lower price on something you purchased with your Bank Independent Debit Card? If your transaction is less than 60 days old, MasterCard may be able to reimburse you for the price difference.
- Zero Liability Protection: Rest assured. As a Bank Independent Debit Cardholder, you won't be held responsible for unauthorized transactions.
Avoid Debit Card Issues When You Travel
Our fraud specialists are constantly monitoring your debit card activity for suspected fraud, including unusual spending patterns, spending in unusual locations, or attempts to use your card in states or countries that we've blocked because of high levels of fraud. If we see this sort of activity on your card, we will sometimes temporarily suspend your card until we can confirm this activity is legitimate.
A simple way to avoid debit card disruptions or blocks when you're traveling is to notify Bank Independent before you leave. Just call Customer Service or complete our secure online Travel Notification Form
Tips for International Travel
In addition to the tips above, review these guidelines to travel with confidence using your BI Debit Card:
- Plan for foreign ATMs: Some international ATMs will have restrictions, such as additional access fees or only allowing you to access your primary Bank Independent account.
- Purchase foreign currency before you go: Visit any Bank Independent location near you or call Customer Service to place an order for foreign currency. We'll give you the currency purchase and delivery fee amounts and the currency exchange rate, and we'll notify you when your foreign currency is available for pickup at the branch.
- Plan for international debit card fees: MasterCard charges a fee when you use your debit card for purchases internationally. The fee, while typically about 1%, will vary depending on the merchant.
Our fraud specialists combine cutting-edge technology with good old fashioned investigation skills to monitor your Bank Independent accounts 24/7. Learn more about what we do for you everyday, plus what you can do to protect yourself from debit card and account fraud here
Report Debit Card Fraud
Keeping you protected from debit card fraud is one of Bank Independent's top priorities, so we always want to be sure your card is in YOUR hands and not a fraudster's. Here's how you can help.
Found Unauthorized Debit Card Activity? File a Dispute
If your debit card is still in your possession and you identify transactions that you have not authorized nor participated in, call Customer Service at (256) 386-5000 or (877) 865-5050 as soon as possible to file a dispute or complete our Online Dispute Form.
Is Your Card Missing? Report it Lost or Stolen
There are several ways to report your card lost or stolen:
- Customer Service: Call (256) 386-5000 or (877) 865-5050 to speak to a Customer Service Representative
- Independent Express: Call (866) 478-5010, choose Option 5, Option 2, then Option 1
With any of these options, your card will be cancelled. A new card will be issued quickly upon request.
Think You've Misplaced Your Card? Suspend it Temporarily
Did you know that you can instantly "turn off" your debit card if it's been misplaced? Suspending your card keeps it from being used while you retrace your steps to find your missing card.
- Independent Express: Call (866) 478-5010, choose Option 5, Option 2, then Option 4 and follow the prompts. When you find your card, call back and again choose Option 5, Option 2, then Option 2 and follow the prompts.